Header Ads

Breaking News

Sympathy (Expressions)




Expressing Sympathy

What do you say to someone when their loved one has fallen seriously ill, or even passed away?

If you know someone who is experiencing a difficult time, take a moment to say something to them to show that you care. It will make them feel better, and yourself, as well.
It happens to all of us, and you want to say the right thing, but words can often fail us. Don’t let them! Show your support, love, and care with these expressions;
- I’m so sorry to have heard the news.
- Please accept my sincerest condolences.
- I want you to know that I’ve been thinking of you.
- You have my heartfelt sympathies.
- These are difficult times, and I want you to know how sorry I am for your loss.
- I’m sure that you have wonderful memories that you will always treasure.
- I was deeply saddened to learn the news.

For formal situations
When you are talking to business partners or people you don’t know well, it is best to express sympathy with politeness and manner. You can say or write:
- Please accept my condolences!
- I’m sorry to hear about that.
- You have my sincere sympathy.
- Words fall short of expressing my sadness for your loss. (mainly in writing)
- With deepest sympathy on your loss of….
- My heart is with you in this time of sorrow / bad luck.
- I am so sorry that it happened.

For informal situations
In case of your family members or friends, the phrases could be less formal to honestly show your feelings and compassion. Depending on the level of closeness, you can choose to use:
- That’s terrible, I’m sorry.
- I heard what happened. I’m so sorry!
- Oh no, bad luck!
- I’m here for you if you need anything.
- That’s so sad that…
- What a pity! You will do better next time!
- I hope you feel better soon.

For expressing comfort
Sympathy is much needed when you hear someone has passed away. In addition to abovementioned sentences, you should use phrases specifically prepared for this occasion.
- I heard about your tragic loss. My deepest sympathy.
- I am heartbroken by this sad news. He / she will always be in our heart.
- I am sorry that I could not convey my condolences in person. (in case you live far away)
- Wishing you peace as you grieve this loss.
- Please accept my condolences. Your father was a great man.
- Our heartfelt condolences to you upon the passing of…
- May our memories of…..help to sustain you at this most difficult time.

Illness
If a family member or a friend is sick, you want to say something to offer tidings for better health. These sentiments will let them know that you care.
- Oh, no! I hope that you’re feeling better soon.
- Take care, and be good to yourself.
- I’m sorry to hear you’re not feeling well.
- If you have your health, you have everything.
- Don’t worry about anything except getting better.
- That’s too bad. There’s nothing worse than not feeling well.

Having a Bad Day
Sometimes a friend, spouse, or relative just had a bad day and is feeling frustrated and sad. They may act angry or troubled. They could be anxious and/or distracted. You want to let them know that you care, and to give them some encouragement, so one or more of these phrases are appropriate.
- You know that you can talk to me anytime.
- I’m here for you, if you want to talk
- I’ve been there. I understand.
- Don’t let it get you down.
- You’re strong, and you’ll get through this.
- Days like this are the worst, I know.
- Try to put it behind you.
- Tomorrow’s another day.
- What’s done is done. Better days are ahead.
- You’re going to be okay, you know.
- You’ve got this.

Disappointment
Sometimes a friend or family member has been let down, or disappointed by something. Maybe they didn’t get a job, or broke up with a loved one. Here are some words and phrases that might be appropriate.
- I know how you feel.
- There’s something (or someone) else out there.
- I’m sorry, too.
- It just wasn’t meant to be this time.
- One door closes, another door opens.

Serious Trouble
Maybe you know someone who is in serious trouble, and really needs help. It could be personal, and is often very stressful. It’s important that this person has some support. Give them your attention, and let them know that you won’t abandon them, by saying the right thing at this difficult time. Include yourself, and others who care, in your words.
- Let’s see if we can work this out together.
- You’re not alone.
- I’ve got your back.
- Let’s take this one step at a time.
- This is what friends (or family) are for.
- Let’s roll up our sleeves and fix this.

Examples and test

Dialogue 1
Lisa:  Hi,  what’s up? You look sad.

Lusy: I am disappointing myself.

Lisa: What do you mean?

Lucy: I get very low score in my English examination. I feel bad.

Lisa: It’s fine. I know how it feels. You just need to study harder for the next examination and you will get better score. Trust me.

Lucy: Thanks for your advice.


Dialogue 2
Anne  : Why do you look so sad?

Gina    : I lost my mobile phone.

Anne  : I’m sorry to hear that. When it happened?

Gina    : It happened when I went to railroad station to buy a ticket yesterday.
Anne  : Have you contacted your mobile phone number?
Gina    : I have contacted several times, but it seems my mobile phone number is not active.
Anne  : You should contact the police.
Gina    : Thanks for your advice. I will try it later.

Dialogue 3
Jack: Hi John, how are you? long time we did not see since two years ago.
John: Hi Jack. I’m pretty okay. You look so fat now.
Jack: Indeed, it’s because of my unhealthy lifestyle.
John: By the way, what about Tom? He works in a office with you, doesn’t he?
Jack: Yes, but Tom has been having a lot of troubles lately. I think he might be getting a divorce.
John: Really? What's going on?
Jack: I know the news from his brother.
John: That's too bad. I hope things get better for him soon.
Jack: So do I.


Test yourself

Choose the best answer
1. Lisa:  Have you visited Ira? She got an accident yesterday.
    Mia:  ....
a.  I didn't know it
b.  I think so
c.  I'm sorry to hear that
d.  Sorry, I was in a hurry that time
e.  I'm glad to know about it

2. Dittta :  Oh! what happens to your finger?
    Mitta :  Well I have just cut my finger.
    Ditta :  How did it happen?
    Mitta :  I peeled a kiwi and knife ,you know!
    Ditta :  I see. Look! It keeps bleeding……………………….
a.  I am happy to hear that
b.  I am glad to hear that
c.  I know how you feel
d.  Don’t do that
e.  I don’t care about it

3. Anne : Hi, I saw you with Lisa yesterday at the police office.
What happened ?
Ann : Really ? I accompanied Lisa to report the police.
Lisa lost her purse when we were at the mall.
Anne : ………………………………..
a.  How happy you are
b.  I don’t know about it
c.  I know you have a lot of money
d.  Don’t do that
e.  What a terrible situation for you

4. Roben : Why was Lisa absent yesterday
    Thenta:  Her father passed away
    Roben :  I am deeply sorry to hear that .Why didn’t you tell me before ?
   Thenta :  I have just heard about it
 From the dialogue, we may assume that ...
a.  Thenta was happy to hear the news
b.  Lisa was absent because her father passed away
c.  Thenta told the sad news to Roben
d.  Lisa goes out of the school
e. Thenta and Roben was not join the class that day

5. Roby : “Ouch”
Father : What’s wrong with you, son?
Roby : I fell from the motorcycle when I was going to grandma's house.
Father : ____________, put the medicine on it.
Roby : Yes, Dad.
The suitable expression to complete the dialogue is …
a.  How happy you are
b.  It doesn’t hurt me
c.  You are wrong
d.  I don’t know about it
e.  Oh, dear

6. Lucy : “Ouch”
Mother : What’s wrong with you , honey?
Lucy : I cut my finger while cutting this carrot.
Mother :………………………. , put the medicine on it.
Lucy : Yes, Dad
a.  How happy you are
b.  I don’t know about it
c.  It must be hurt
d.  Oh, thanks god
e.  You are wrong

7.  Rebbeca : My sister has been sick for two days. So I have to accompany her in the hospital.
Stephen : …………………. I hope she will get better soon.
Rebbeca : Thanks fellow.
a.  I am sorry to hear that
b.  I am happy to hear that
c.  Thank you
d.  Don’t mention it
e.  Not at all

8.  Ruppert : Did you hear the news ?
Roben : No, I didn't.
Ruppert : Lisaa won English competition yesterday
Roben : Oh, ……………
a.  How happy you are
b.  I am deeply sorry to hear that
c.  It doesn’t make me sad
d. Oh, congratulation
e.  It doesn't matter

9.  Reboks: Where are you going Fi?
Filla: I am going to visit my grandmother. I heard she is sick. I am so worried about her.
Reboks: Oh .... But trust me, she would be just fine.
Filla: Thank you for your sympathy, Re.
a.  I am sorry to hear that.
b.  It's nice to hear that
c.  Take care, and be good to yourself.
d.  I’m sorry to hear you’re not feeling well.
e.  If you have your health, you have everything.

10.  Jim : Hi Tim, I saw you with someone yesterday at the police office. What happened ?
       Tim: Really? I accompanied my friend to report the police. He lost her driving license when he drove me to work.
Jim: What a terrible situation for you.
The underlined expression expresses ....
a.  Asking help
b.  Asking opinion
c.  Giving advice
d.  Showing sympathy
e.  Agreement



No comments