Header Ads

Breaking News

Pleasure / Displeasure (Expressions)




A.  Expressing Pleasure;

It’s a pleasure.
It gives me pleasure.
It is awesome.
It is a good news.
It was really delightful.
I feel delighted.
I feel excited.
I had a splendid time.
That is wonderful.
That is great!
That is good!
That is terrific.
I am very delighted to hear that.
I am so happy.
I am very pleased with it.
I’m very pleased.
How happy to meet you.


B.  Expressing Displeasure;

That is too bad.
It is a shame.
It was very poor.
It is a bad news.
It really makes me angry.
I really hate …
I feel bad about this.
I am extremely displeased to …
I’m really sad to see ...
I am very annoyed.
The jokes didn’t make me happy at all.
Mind what are you doing!
Mind your words!
How annoying!
How awful!
What a bore!
Who do you think you are?
Oh, no!

C.  Examples and Test

At Roben's home.
Roben :  What a wonderful dinner!
Thenta:  Thank you. I am glad that you are enjoying it.
Roben :  Where did you get your fantastic recipes?
Thenta:  I grew up cooking. My mother shared her recipes with me.
Roben :  I especially like the wonderful chicken dish.
Thenta:  That is a special coconut ginger chicken with rice dish.
Roben :  Is that shrimp in the soup?
Thenta:  Yes, do you like it? I added a little extra lemon grass and some sea vegetables.
Roben :  I am happy that the Milk Shake I made for you works well with this meal.
Thenta:  Yes, thank you for making the Milk Shake. It really complements the meal.

At school.
Librarian: How may I help you?
Student: I need to return these books.
Librarian: What happened to this one?
Student: The cover came off.
Librarian: You're going to need to pay for the damage.
Student: Oh my god! I feel bad about this.
Librarian: Library rules and regulations in our school.
Student: How much do I need to pay?
Librarian: It's going to be five dollars.
Student: That's not bad at all.
Librarian: I know it's not.
Student: Here you go.
Librarian: Thank you very much.
Student: You're welcome. Have a nice day.


Test yourself.

Answer the following questions!
Complete the dialogue below (for questions number 4 and 5)

1. Malta   :  Hey, I am sure that you ruin my laptop.
    Downy : What are you talking about? You think that I ruin your laptop? It really makes me angry!
The bold typed word has similar meaning with ....
A. Ascent
B. Build
C. Advantage
D. Assist
E. Crush

2. You would like to buy something on online shop. After selecting and paying the product. They promised to send the product for 3 days, but three days had passed the product has not arrived.
How do you feel about this situation?
A. I recommended the online shop
B. I am very annoyed at the online shop
C. I will be happy to buy one more time
D. I am very pleased with the service
E. I feel excited about the online shop

3. Mr. Brown: Can you help me pick out a gift for my daughter?
Salesgirl    : She might like a laptop computer.
Mr. Brown: That sounds like a good idea.
Salesgirl    : Might I suggest a Mac?
Mr. Brown: How much?
Salesgirl    : Well, a 15-inch Pro is $2,100.
Mr. Brown: ________________ . I'll take it.
The suitable expression to complete the dialogue is …
A. That sounds great
B. It is unacceptable
C. I’m very unsatisfied
D. The computer is so cheesy
E. I don't think so

4. Shopkeeper : Excuse me?
Customer : Yes, I'm really sorry.
Shopkeeper : What did you do to this shirt?
Customer : I accidentally ripped the shirt.
Shopkeeper : You will need to pay for the damage.
Customer : How annoying! How much do I need to pay?
Shopkeeper : I'm going to need seven dollars.
Customer : That's not too expensive.
The underlined expression expresses ....
A. Satisfaction
B. Dissatisfaction
C. Happiness
D. Pleasure
E. Displeasure

5. From the dialogue we know that ...
A. Customer likes the shirt
B. Customer doesn't likes the shirt
C. Customer going to have to charge for the damage
D. The shopkeeper likes to serve the costumer
E. The shopkeeper doesn't like to serve the costumer


No comments