Header Ads

Breaking News

Offering Help / Service (Expressions)




Offering Help / Service 

is used to offer help / service to others / someone else.


A. Offering Help / Service
Formal
Would you like something to drink?
Would you like to go disco?
Would you like to come along?
Could I offer you a glass of lemonade?
Would you mind joining us?
Would you like a cup of coffee?
Shall I get you a bottle of water?

Would you like to leave a message?
What can I do for you?
Can I help you?
Can I do something for you?
Do you want something to eat?
Shall I get you something to read?

Informal
What can I get for you?
Won't you have a pancake?
Do you want something to eat?
Cheese sandwich?
Chocolate?
Have some
Like one?

B. Accepting   Help / Service
Thank you
Yes, please
I'd like it very much
Thank you, I would ...
That would be very nice
I'm pleased to do that
With pleasure
Yes, I'd like some.
Oh yes, I’d love to
That sounds nice
That’s very kind of you
Thanks (very much).
Lovely.

C. Refusing  Help / Service
No, thank you.
That’s very kind of you, but …
Thank you for offering, but …
No, it’s all right, really.
No, really, I can manage (thanks).
No, thanks
Not for me, thanks
No, I really won't thank you
I'd like to, but I have ...
I'm afraid I can't thanks anyway

It would be a great pleasure to ... But I'm afraid I have

D. Examples & Test:


Mr. Dickinson is cleaning his garden. He uses many gardening tools such as sickle, hoe, spade, and big scissors. Lisa is offering a help.

Lisa                : “what are you doing?

Mr. Dickinson: “I am going to plant some vegetables”

Lisa                : “can I help you?” (offering)

Mr. Dickinson: “yes, please clean the soil from the grass after I hoe” (accepting)

Lisa                : “Certainly, Dad”


John: What are you doing, Deb?
Deby: I’m replying e-mail from client and writing 10 articles about English expressions.
John: Wow, you are so busy, right?
Deby: Yeah. I’m so stressful.
John: Shall I do your half job?
Deby: Really? You must be kidding me.
John: I’m so serious, Deb. How?
Deby: Thank you so much, John. I appreciate your help.
John: Most welcome, Deby.
Deby: Could I offer you a glass of lemonade?
John: Please, don’t bother.
Deby: It’s okay, I really don’t mind.



 At the Party;

Lisa : Hey, everyone! Thank you for coming to my party
Audy: It’s  very kind of you for having us here, Lisa. Happy birthday
Lucy: We are really glad to come here. Happy birthday, Lisa
Bryan : Yeah, your party is really nice. Happy birthday, Lisa
Lisa : Thank you, everyone. I’m very happy to have you here too. By the way, have you enjoyed the food? Would you like some tart cake? I have tart cake from my parents.
Bryan : Oh, really? Is that okay? I would love to have some
Audy : Oh, thank you, Lisa. Please, don’t bother
Lucy : Thank you, Lisa. It’s okay. Thank you for the offer
Bryan : Well… if nobody likes it, maybe you can get some for me, Lisa
Audy : Oh, don’t be so ravenous, Bryan! You have just eaten many sweets.
Bryan : Oh… but….
Lisa : Hahaha. Its okay… it’s okay, guys. I really don’t mind. Okay, wait a minute, I’ll get the cake.
Lucy : Oh forgive him, Lisa. We’re sorry for troubling you.
Bryan : Yes, thank you, Sarah. Just a tiny slice will be okay.
Lisa : Hahaha. It’s alright, guys. Okay, enjoy the party while I’m going for the cake. (Lisa going to get the cake)
Bryan : Hey, I drank a very fresh smoothie right there. Do you want some smoothies?
Audy: Really? Yes, I want some!
Lucy : Oh no thank you. I get cough. I think I’m not going to drink cold drinks for a while.
Bryan : Well, there is a hot chocolate drink. Shall I help yourself to some hot chocolate?
Lucy : Oh really? Thank you, Bryan. That’s very kind of you.
Bryan : No problem. Okay, I will get the drinks. You two wait here for Lisa.
Lucy : Alright. Thank you.


Vocabularies Expression of Offering Help;
n. = noun
v. = verb
adj. = adjective
It’s a very kind of you
Thank you for having us here
Tart cake
Offer = n.
Ravenous = adj.
Sweets = n.
I don’t mind
Wait a minute
Trouble = v.
Slice = n.
Smoothie = n.
I get cough
For a while


Basic Sentences Expression of Offering Help;

Offering something politely (formal)
- Would you like some cake?
- Would you like a glass of milk?
- Have some coffee?
- Have some cake?
- Fancy a drink? (British)

Offering something to someone we have known well, it's usually not too polite;
- Do you want a cup of tea?
- anything to eat?
- Some sandwich?


Offering something to someone we don't know what She/he wants;
- Can I get you something?
- Can I get you anything?

If you want someone gets what she/he wants;
- That’s milk. Help yourself
- Help yourself to some milk
- Shall I help yourself to some milk? (Sambil menawarkan)

And when you've been sure what they want you may say;  (informal)
- Let me get you some milk

if you're unsure;   (informal)
- Do you want me to bring you a glass of milk?
- Should I get you some snack?
- I will get you a cup of coffee if you want
- Can I get you some drink?

Responding someone's offer;
- Yes, please
- Thank you
- Thanks
- Thank you, that would be great
- Thank you, that’s very kind of you (Formal)

Refusing;
- No, thank you
- No, it’s okay, thank you
- No, I’m fine, thank you
- Please, don’t bother

Test yourself

1. Zydane: The box you brought looks very heavy. ________
    Klara   : Sure. It’s very kind of you. Thanks.
    The suitable expression to complete the dialogue is ….
A. Would you like me to help you?
B. Would I like to help me?
C. Would you like to help me?
D. Would you like to bring it for me?
E. Could you bring it for me?

2. Mr Bean : Hello, Miss Smith. Would you like a cup of coffee? I'm just making some.
Miss Smith : Oh, yes please, that would be lovely.
Mr Bean : How do you take it?
Miss Smith : With milk and sugar please.
Mr Bean: Here you are.
Miss Smith: Thank you.
The underlined expression expresses ...
A. Offering something
B.Offering help
C. Accepting an offer
D. Declining an offer
E. Refusing an offer

3. Lusy: Good morning Jane, do you want an ice cream?
     Bila: Oh, great! ______, I'd love one.
    Lusy: Chocolate or Strawberry?
     Bila: Chocolate, please.
   The suitable expression to complete the dialogue is …
A. Yes please
B. No Thanks
C. Don't bother
D. Never mind
E. Not for me

4. Amel: Shall I carry your luggage to your flat?
   Najwa: Yes, please!
The underlined word has similar meaning with ...
A. Borrow
B. Bring
C. Drop
D. Dodge
E. Leave

5. Indah: Some of our friends will join the concert tomorrow. Would you like to go with me?
    Putri : _________ It will very interesting. I need to refresh my mind this time.
    The suitable expression to complete the dialogue is …
A. I’d love to but I don’t think I can come
B. I’m really sorry. I already have my own plan
C. Well, I’m not sure
D. What a great idea!
E. Not for me, thanks


No comments