Header Ads

Breaking News

Certainty & Uncertainty (Expressions)






Expressing Certainty and Uncertainty

A. How to express certainty and uncertainty.

Expressing Certainty.
Here are the expressions to state a certainty:
1.  Yes, I’m sure.
2.  I’m really sure about that.
3.  Yes, I’m certain.
4.  I believe that he can do it well.
5.  Yes, of course.
6.  I’m convinced about what you ask.
7.  I’m certain.
8.  I’m sure.
9.  Without doubt.
10. No doubt
11. There is no doubt about that.
12. I have no doubt about it.
13. Definitely
14. Yes, definitely. etc.

Example of the Dialog Asking and Expressing Certainty
Billa:  Hi, do you think you will pass the exam?
Uyun:  Hello, Yes, I'm really sure.
Billa:  I think it is hard to pass the exam. Why do you think that way?
Uyun:  Why not? I have prepared everything well for the exam.
            Will Diana come here on time?
Billa:  Yes, I have no doubt about that.
Uyun:  How can you be that sure?
Billa: She is always on time
Uyun:  O.k. then. Let's just see..

Lulu:  You look so sad. Do you get a problem?
Alya:  No, I don’t.
Lulu:  Really?
Alya:  Yes, of course.
Lulu:  Are you sure you will go?
Alya:  Definitely.
Lulu:  Where will you go, anyway?:
Alya:  I will go to Lampung.
Lulu:  Can't you postpone it?
Alya :  I’m sorry, I think I can’t.
Lulu:   Emh I'll be worrying you very much, then.
Alya:  Don't worry. I'll be just fine, my friend.
Lulu:  Take care, will you? Don't forget to ring me as soon as you get there.
Alya:  I will. You too, thanks. Bye"


B. Expressing Uncertainty
Here are the expressions of uncertainty:
1.  I’m not sure.
2.  I'm not certain.
3.  I'm not so sure.
4.  I’m not really sure about it.
5.  I doubt it.
6.  Well, it’s possible.
7.  Well, I can’t tell you for sure.
8.  I suppose, but I’m not sure.
9.  I’m not completely certain.
10. I don’t believe this is true.
11. It’s difficult for me to be sure that . . .
12. I never say that . . .

Example of Dialog Expressing Uncertainty

Billa:  It seems that Fahmi is a good b
Lulu:  HHmmm I doubt it.
Uyun: Why don't you think so, Lulu?
Lulu:  He hit a junior yesterday.
Alya:  Hey, don’t you know that our school got flooded a couple of week ago?
Billa:  I’m not sure. Are you kidding?
Alya:  No, it is serious.
Uyun:  I don’t believe that was true.
Alya:  Well, I only tell what I heard.


C. Asking certainty and uncertainty

Is a kind of a question type to ask for a certainty and uncertainty to someone about something.
Expressing certainty
Is a kind of a clause used to express a certain idea or opinion to others or something. In this case, the speaker really makes sure about the questions and his or her idea.
Expressing uncertainty
Is a kind of a clause used to express a certain idea or opinion to others or something. In this case, the speaker really makes sure about the questions and his or her idea.
Expressing certainty and uncertainty are used to respond questions of asking a certainty or uncertainty.

Asking Certainty
It’s used to perform that someone needs something to be sure or unsure.
Here some expressions of asking certainty:
1.  Are you sure?
2.  How are you sure?
3.  Are you certain?
3.  Really?
4.  Do you think so?
5.  Are you exactly convinced about it?
6.  Are you really certain about that?
7.  Do you have any doubt about that?
8.  Are you absolutely sure?
9.  Are you really certain about that?
10. Are you certain about that?
11. Is there any doubt about it?
12. Are you serious?


D. Test sample.

Choose the best answer by crossing a, b, c or d.

1.  Lulu:  Are you sure that you will quit your school next month?
     Lala:  Definitely. Because my parents asked me to go with them.
     The italicized word shows ........
     a.  certainty
     b.  uncertainty
     c.  agreement
     d.  giving interesting news

2.  Rani:  Are you sure you can do it by yourself?
     Salsa: ............................  (Certainty expression)
     a.  Yes, I can.
     b.  Yes I'm quite sure.
     c.  Really?
     d.  I beg your pardon?

3.  Alya:  There is something wrong with my computer. Do you think John can repair it?
     Andy: ........................ . His own computer is out of order, too.
     Alya: Really?
     a.  No doubt
     b.  I'm really sure he can
     c.  I'm very certain
     d.  I doubt it

4.   Aisy : Hi, Yudi, the weather is cloudy. Do you think it will rain soon?
      Fuji   : I think so, I am ... It will rain soon.
       a.   sure
       b.   not sure
       c.   certainty
       d.   doubtful

5.   Mrs. Sri : If I don't have certificate showing ownership of property for
                         guarantee, will the bank lend me some money?
      Mrs. Tri : I can't say that for sure.
      The underlined expression is used to express ....
      a.   disappointment
      b.   disagreement
      c.   uncertainty
      d.   dislike

6.   Lisa  :    What do you think about Siti?  Will she come tonight?
      Alya :    I don't think she will come.
     From the dialogue above, we know that...
     a.   Alya feels sure that Siti will come.
     b.   Alya feels uncertain taht Titi  will come.
     c.   Alya doesn't like Titi.
     d.   Alya tries to think about Titi.

7.   Raffli   :  Is this your ruler, Toha?
      Gudel   :  No, it isn't. That one is mine.
      Raffli   :  May I borrow it?
      Gudel   :  ......
      Raffli   :  Thanks.
      a.   No, thanks
      b.   No, way
      c.    I am not sure
      d.   Certainly. Here you are.

8.   Susan   :  Oh, I have lost my pen. May I borrow yours, John?
      Susi     :  .....Here you are.
      a.    You are welcome
      b.    I am sorry.
      c.    Thank you.
      d.    Yes, certainly.

9.   Lusy      :  Are you sure that she will come to my party  tonight?
      Uyun     :   I'm sure about that.
      The underlined sentence is used to express ......
      a.    certainty
      b.    uncertainty
      c.   disagreement
      d.   suggestion

10. Your friend  :  Will you come to my house?
      You             :  .....
      a.   Certainly
      b.   No, I'm not
.     c.   No, I won't
      d.   Yes, I am.


1 comment: